Which brings me to the most recent onslaught of appointments, all of which are filled with the kind of news that I like to hear - the boys are growing, and they are stable. One baby weighs 3lbs 1oz, the other is 2lbs 12oz. Both are within the target weight range, but one is weighing slightly larger for his due date. (As it turns out, I have a history of producing 8lb boys.)
The dr. who will deliver the twins was unable to see me this time, but one of his partners was filling in for him, and he was a pleasure to meet! Where the delivering dr. is very laid back and personable, his partner is assertive and has a charm that requires some acclimation.
My mom was able to accompany me to this set of appointments in Dave's absence, and Paula found time in her busy schedule to meet us for lunch; however, we waited for nearly an hour in the exam room for the dr. to come in, and because it was lunchtime, I decided to ask the receptionist if she knew how much longer it would be before the dr. could see me because I was STARVING!! (It was 1:00 at this point, and my next appointment with the cardiologist was at 2:15). She kindly assured me it would not be much longer. As it turns out, the dr., whom I had never met before, was standing right behind the receptionist reviewing my file! When he walked into the exam room and explained that he was trying to sort through the mess of reports and other diverse forms of paperwork that are my medical file, I was mortified and felt obscenely rude to have asked how much longer before the dr. would be in to see me!! Fortunately, as with all the dr's that I have encountered at this hospital, he was good-natured, and understanding, and got right to business. He began by asking questions to help himself organize the mass of information that we have collected about the twins up to this point. "There are pertinent reports with important information that I couldn't find in this file, and unfortunately, I can't access the files in the dr.'s brain." This made me chuckle. During the exchange of information process, I learned that an ultra sound can also be referred to as a "bio-physical profile." I also learned that there can be ventricular megaly of the heart, or of the central nervous system. He shared a very skeletal version of the proposed delivery plan: As a result of the conjoined nature of the twins, I will not be having the typical bikini line c-section; I will have a 'classic c-section,' which involves slicing my stomach in a north-to-south incision rather than a low east-to-west direction. This information, while shocking, had answered a question I had been thinking all along: how would the dr.'s get the boys out? I knew they wouldn't fit through a bikini line c-section!! He also said that because the boys are doing so well, and because I am doing so well, we were going to try for 38 weeks! That gives me 9 more weeks to grow my babies big and strong, and God-willing, I'm going to do my best!! The dr. also stated that because of the circumstances, there is a good possibility that I may have to be admitted to the hospital early so that we can monitor the boys very closely to ensure that they are as safe as possible, and if there are any signs of distress, interventions/delivery can be done in a timely manner.
In addition, we scheduled what I refer to as a 'round-table' meeting of the team of drs and some of the nurses who will be taking care of the boys. We will be able to meet the neo-natologist, one of the neonatal nurses, and the drs that we have grown so fond of will be there, as well as a few other drs/nurses. In this meeting, we will discuss the delivery plan and get a tour of the facility. (I am honestly both excited and nervous about this meeting. Dave is really looking forward to it.)
At this point, the dr. ordered blood work. My mom and Paula decided that this was an opportune time to run down to the cafeteria to grab us a quick bite before the next appointment. They returned, and we sat in the waiting room and scarfed our lunch.
The pediatric cardiologist took a look at the boys' hearts again and said that she doesn't need to see us again until after delivery - their little hearts look great. After they are born, they will each have an echocardiogram to look at the function of their hearts before any surgeries take place, but for now, unless one of our other dr.'s has a concern, the cardiologist has seen all she needs to. She is pleased with their development.
The next day, my mom and I met with a realtor to begin the house-hunting process. I was disappointed to find out that Dallas is a seller's market, and it is standard for one house to have multiple offers on it. This is not good news for Dave and me. Since we are still waiting for our house to sell, we really can't even make an offer on a house in dallas because the offer would be contingent on our house selling. As a result of having multiple offers on any single house, a seller in Dallas would more than likely dismiss our offer and accept a buyer's offer who has money in hand. This was disheartening information, but I told Dave not to worry. We just have to wait on God's timing, and perhaps this only means that the house that we are supposed to buy in Dallas is just not ready for us yet!
We are grateful that we still have several showings a week, and we will certainly be ready when an offer is made on our house!!
And so we continue to wait. And I continue to grow larger! (I will post pictures of my ever expanding belly very soon. In the meantime, here is a 3D image of baby 'a'.)